Since its beginning, Englewood has been a two-county town. Populated since the 1860s, it was officially named for the first time in 1896 in then Manatee County. Today the city is contained in Sarasota and Charlotte counties.
Like nearby North Port, most of Englewood’s growth began in the 1960s when the Mackle Brothers were developing thousands of acres on the west coast of Florida.
Located along Lemon Bay and including Manasota Key and its magnificent beachfront mansions today, Englewood has grown from its humble beginnings as farm, lumber, and turpentine area to a community nearly as large as Venice.
Residents and visitors enjoy its Lemon Bay community theater and classes and shows at the Englewood Art Center, which is part of Sarasota’s Ringling College of Art and Design.
Englewood is gaining world acclaim for The Hermitage, an artists and writers retreat located in a group of restored historic homes on a 4-acre site on Manasota Key.
Englewood Elementary School is part of the Sarasota County System. The remaining elementary, middle, and high schools are part of the Charlotte County School System.
Englewood has its own hospital and a general aviation airport.
Its Indian Mound Ark is a legacy of the earliest settlers in the area, the Calusa Indians who resided in Southwest Florida thousands of years ago.
Beaches and boating, fishing, gardening, and golf are just some of the popular activities in this subtropical oasis along the waterfront where year-round temperatures average 72 degrees. Bridges and a ferry boat carry people from the mainland to the Gulf of Mexico beaches.
Englewood Year-round Average Temperatures and Rainfall